The Schengen zone in the European Union is made up of 26 countries sharing a common visa policy. People living in these countries don’t require a passport to travel to member nations. In short, it’s the world’s largest visa-free zone and attracts a lot of tourists from all over the world from countries that don’t require a visa to travel to this zone.
However, India is not a part of the countries allowed visa-free access to the Schengen countries. You will need a Schengen visa for Indians if you wish to travel to any of the member nations that fall under the list of Schengen nations.
Can you get a visa on arrival for Schengen Nations?
No, Indian tourists don’t have access to visas on arrival, and if you are an Indian passport holder you will need a pre-approved visa to travel within the Schengen Zone. You can get a Schengen visa for Indians with 90 days stay & a 6-month validity. However, you will need a multiple entry visa in case you wish to travel to more than one country falling within this list.
List of Countries Falling with the Schengen Zone
Here’s a list of countries falling under the Schengen Zone: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
Documents required to apply for a Schengen Visa for Indians
If you are thinking of traveling to any of the Schengen countries, keep these documents handy for a hassle-free visa application process:
- An invitation from the host with supporting documents for accommodation
- Thoroughly filled visa application and signed by the applicant (s)
- Two 35×45 mm passport size photographs not older than 3 months with a matte background displaying between 70-80% of the applicant’s face.
- An Indian passport with minimum 3 months validity
- Copy of flight tickets to and from the countries you wish to visit
- Copy of your complete travel itinerary.
- Proof of accommodation for hotels/Airbnb’s where you plan to stay.
- Mandatory health insurance coverage of €30,000
- 3 months bank statement as proof of financial status.
Applying for a Schengen Visa for Indians
- Download the visa application form from the Schengen Embassy website.
- Carefully fill in all the details, sign the form and submit.
- Collect all requisite documents to be submitted at the visa center.
- In case you wish to visit only one of the Schengen nations then your visa will only apply to the Embassy or consulate of that country.
- If you have multiple countries on your itinerary, then submit your application at Embassy of the country where your stay is for more than 2 days. If you wish to stay for more than 2 days in multiple countries, then you would need to submit your application at the Embassy of the country you will be visiting first.
- Book an appointment for visa processing.
- Attend the interview and collect your passport.
If all your documents are in order and you have cleared the interview, you should get your Schengen visa Indians within 15 working days.
Don’t Forget to Buy Comprehensive Travel Insurance
Since it’s mandated by law to have travel insurance if you wish to travel to any of the Schengen countries, it’s important that you get proper coverage and only buy insurance from a reliable insurer to ensure peace of mind.
Care Travel Insurance offers the most exhaustive list of features on their travel insurance policies, so that you don’t have to face any issues while you are traveling abroad. It not only takes care of all charges in the unfortunate event of hospitalization but also offers protection against loss of baggage and passport, and financial loss due to theft, flight cancellations and delays. So, make sure that you have that proper insurance cover in place before you decide to leave the country.
Traveling to the Schengen Zone is an experience of a lifetime due to Europe’s rich history, amazing architecture, historical wonders and unforgettable nightlife. So, pack your bags and get ready for the experience of a lifetime!